Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Resolved: the 2014 booklist

I don't really believe in New Year's resolutions (why is this time of year more special than any other time of year to be the better person?). However, this is a very convenient time to try out a new project as I finally have some time to.....read books!

Yes, it is true that I read blog posts all the time and read scholarly articles all the time but that usually means that I don't have time to sit down with a book and just unplug for a bit. I feel like about 75% of what I read nowadays comes through digitally and I'm not sure why but I have a harder time really processing it. And though e-books are very convenient, I miss being able to curl up with a physical book and reading it. (So yes, I am going to try and find physical copies of these books which might take some time)

So. While this is going to be another one of those promises I make into the abyss because there is literally no one who is keeping me to this promise other than myself-this is my formal promise to read the following books during this year. Furthermore, consider this my formal promise to also write about these books:

1. [January]: History of the World in 6 Glasses
I wanted to start with this one because I think it will be an interesting and breezy start to the list; also because it is currently sitting on my coffee table.

2. [February]:  Great Expectations
I was supposed to read this for my 9th grade English class but ended up stopping after about three chapters. I have been assured that it actually is quite a good book and figure it's high time I find out the truth for myself so I can praise is or continue disliking it intensely.

3. [March]: Catcher in the Rye
This one I actually have a genuine interest in reading I just never actually got assigned to read it for class.

4. [April]: Wuthering Heights
Another one I was supposed to have read in class and didn't get past the first 10 pages or so. I have seen both versions of the music video(red dress is far superior to the white dress version) as well as the Gay Best Friend video. Time to give it another chance I guess?

5. [May]: The Beautiful and the Damned
Also another one I've wanted to read for a while but just never did.

6. [June]: Count of Monte Cristo
My mother was actually shocked that I never read this one because it's one of her favorites and it seems like an adventure story so let's give it a go.

7. [July]: Moby Dick
Ever since I visited the Whaling Museum in New Bedford, MA, reading this has seemed like a more and more appealing idea now that I have a better historical and biological context for it.

8. [August]: Crime and Punishment
Another one I should have read in high school. It's not that I didn't want to per se-from what I remember the prose was straightforward and interesting but I think it just came down to the fact that I didn't feel like I had time so now I'm going to make some time.

9. [September]: Emma
This one might actually get moved up because I'm currently following the webseries 'Emma Approved' which is an updated version of the book. I think it would be nice to have an idea of where things are going more than what I've pieced together from watching 'Clueless' and it's a little embarrassing that I have only read one work by Jane Austen.

10. [October]: Uncle Tom's Cabin
I think I've wanted to read this ever since Nancy Clark told me I should in AP US History oh so many years ago and again-just never got around to it.

11. [November]: The Importance of Being Earnest
A name that I hear thrown around a lot but figure I should read it for myself.

12. [December]: Common Sense
Because 'Murica. But actually I think it's a pretty important historical book especially for a Bostonian like yours truly.

Well, that's a little embarrassing to have up now because I feel like I was expected to have read all of those in high school.  But may this serve only to motivate me to work through the list faster! I have also included a rough correlation between books and months just as a flexible-ish schedule because naturally some months will be much more relaxed than others but I want to keep moving through these.  In fact, I might even switch the order up or substitute books as my mood sees fit but I've wanted to read these for a while so I'm going to try pretty hard to stick with them.  Typically, I usually read kind of sappy or sad romantic things so I figure that this could be a good opportunity to branch out. So let's see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment