Monday, December 30, 2013

Pizza is love

I was making my usual rounds around YouTube when I noticed this TedTalk on the left. It's pretty self explanatory but to sum it up, the speaker calls out the fact that using baseball as an analogy for sex/sexual things is really exclusive and problematic in more ways than one. It's something that I hadn't really thought about too much but the language that we use to describe something oftentimes shapes the way we think about the thing itself. Using a sports metaphor primes our brains to think about sex as a means to an end rather than a journey. Not to mention that it's no wonder lots of people have "performance anxiety" about it considering we have the mindset of "the game must go on!" regardless of what our brains and bodies might be telling us. I think that our approach to sex and sex education is the type of thing that I've noticed a lot more since coming to Wellesley because of its implications for women but this video makes a good point that the current system hetero-exclusive as well. And while not everyone likes pizza, I think that it definitely seems like a more useful way to start the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment