Thursday, November 28, 2013

Tiff's war on Writer's block

Hello Lovelies!

I've been having a problem for about a year or so and I think it's finally time to talk about it.

I don't know what to write about here.

There, I said it. It's actually really hard to come up with topics to write about and I usually start articles that a relevant in a moment but when I try to come back to them later they wouldn't make sense to talk about outside of the moment in which they were conceived. Also, to talk about subjects, one needs to research them thoroughly to present them in a clear fashion to an audience.

And what about talking about myself and my own personal experiences?

Well if you know me in real-life, you'll know that I am partial to my privacy, especially in this day and age when nothing feels like it's private anymore. Not to mention to share anything on a deeper level is exposing myself and making myself more vulnerable than is really prudent. Not to mention, what if I make a strong claim and then change my mind? That would be rather embarrassing for me wouldn't it?

And on top of all of that, these writings need to be interesting/appropriate to a wide audience of people? I think that just thinking about all of that has been a little paralyzing.

So, I'm starting going to the modified/written equivalent of what is a common practice on YouTube: just writing everyday.

A lot of content creators(i.e. Hank Green and Hannah Hart; Grace Helbig/Shay Carl do this on the regular) on YouTube take a month or so to just vlog. By forcing yourself to practice your craft every single day for a while and to put it up for others to see, you don't really have time to think too much about how it will be received.

I don't quite have a whole month to do this, since exams are almost upon us. However, here's the game plan: I have compiled non-fiction writing prompts and will be publishing a post every day for a week starting tonight. I originally started this blog when I was a staff writer for the Wellesley News so that I would have a place to practice writing so I guess in a weird way, I'm going back to the basics.

I'm not sure how these posts will turn out but I'm excited to share them with you anyways!

Here goes nothing,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment