Monday, January 14, 2013

Tiffany's favorite movies EVAR

Seeing highlights from the Golden Globes has made me a little nostalgic so I thought I would compile some of my all time favorite movies EVER for your entertainment. It's worth noting that most of these movies also happen to have great soundtracks(the true way to my heart), which I currently listen to on a fairly regular basis. A lot of these movies have stood the test of time and I still enjoy them now as I did when they first came out.

So without further ado....

1) The Parent Trap(1998) 
This is without a doubt one of my favorite movies of all time and will probably remain on this list until I die. I loved this film so much that I made my best friend make up a handshake up with me. In addition to making me really want to go off to summer camp, it also made me want to go to London really really bad. And not only was this my first introduction to the wonderful Nat King Cole(in addition to the Beatles), it also documents a time before LiLo went off the deep end and was actually kind of good at acting. I was however incredibly confused when first told that there was only one Lindsey Lohan. Mind. Blown.

2) Howl's Moving Castle(2004)
As of right now, this is still my favorite Studio Ghibli film and has been since I first saw it in middle school. A love story, magic and a brooding hero? What's not to love? (side note: it's completely ok plot wise that Sophie has to fix Howl because he is missing his heart. Literally. So don't pull any feminazi jargon on me). I really can't say enough about how beautiful the visuals really are...everything is done by hand so it's really like you're watching a moving painting. Not to mention that the score(compliments of Joe Hisaishi) is absolutely beautiful. Also, Howl may or may not have been my first anime crush.


3) Ever After: A Cinderella Story(1998)
"And while Cinderella and her prince did live happily ever after, the point, gentlemen, is that they lived."

Before Once Upon A Time and every other fairytale re-interpretation, there was Ever After, the re-telling of the Cinderella story where "Cinderella"'s bad ass aristocratic great grand daughter tells off the Grimm Brothers and sets the record straight. Angelica Houston was absolutely brilliant as the evil stepmother and Leonardo DaVinci was freaking hilarious. I still drool over the costumes because not only are they gorgeous, I was also starting to watch the original Disney movies around this time as well. Needless to say this is far superior in every way to the cartoon. Not to mention I also now happen to enjoy the chants of the Fransican monks but that's a post for another day.

4) Uptown Girls(2003)
I was more or less Rae(the little girl)'s age when this movie came out so needless to say I sympathized with her a little more than I did with the wild child, whimsical disorderly "adult". What's interesting though is that this story is kind of a coming of age for both characters: a reminder that being a kid is ok and that you can still be a dreamer when you're supposed to be a responsible adult.


5) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone(2001)
Still my absolute favorite Harry Potter movie to  date. Even though I saw this before I read the books, I still consider it one of the most honest representations of the Harry Potter world. Also, no one that we love dies(Quirrel and Nicholas Flamel don't count) and everything is still new and...well, magical. We were being introduced into magical London at the same time Harry was and even though I love the rich, dark backstory behind the rest of the Harry Potter stories, it's kind of nice to watch this again and really see quidditch and friendships and school without the dark looming cloud of misery that is Voldemort.



6) Shrek(2001) (the rest of the movies are pretty cool too)
Being only 8 when these first came out, the fart and earwax jokes were funny but there are always a lot more subtleties that come through when you rewatch "children's" movies as you age, primarily of the sexual nature but also other pop culture references. As you can see, I clearly have a thing for fairytales but this movie is absolutely hilarious even as it parodies everything about them that I love and it gets funnier every time I watch it.


7) My Big Fat Greek Wedding(2002)
This was when I realized that there are families out there that are crazier than mine. Also, it was the moment I decided that I am absolutely going to be responsible for everyone's dresses on my wedding day lest I become a snow beast. And yes, while the movie's humor is predominantly wedding centric because the cultural clash and fighting about invitations and dietary restrictions is funny, let's not forget that this all came about because Toula decided that she didn't like where her life was at and she decided to do something about it. Talk about Women Who Will.


No comments:

Post a Comment