Sunday, January 20, 2013

525,600 minutes.


I knew a girl once.

I knew her since she first came home from the hospital, though I was pretty young too so the memory is a bit foggy. I still remember her first Halloween when I dressed up as Mulan and she was a pea pod. Even then, she was always smiling. While I wouldn't dare presume to say that she was one of the central players in my life,  her presence was definitely constant for a really long time.

She lived across the street and our paths would intersect every now and then. I was a mother's helper for her family when I was in 6th grade, oversaw her and her siblings during a birthday party in 8th grade and she and her siblings were the first and only kids that I have ever babysat.

Even though she was really young, I could tell that she was vivacious and clever and so so smart. But above all, she was kind. I was so nervous when I got to her house to babysit for the first time ever and I think she knew that. But she helped me get through the night by keeping her siblings in check and helping me come up with things to do. We danced together, played hide and seek and I taught her some yoga moves. I think at one point we even played a piano duet together. Somehow, this young girl had helped me through a night of taking care of others when I had barely gotten a grip of how to take care of myself. I was so grateful to her.

After that night, things in my life got busier and we moved away from our little town to start a new chapter. But then one day, I heard through the grapevine that she was sick. At the time, I didn't know just how sick and simply hoped that she would get better. Honestly, I don't think it ever occurred to me that she wouldn't get better. I thought that if anyone was going to beat it, she was. But more time passed and she didn't get better.

Last year, I got a phonecall from my best friend with the news that she had passed away.

She was ten years old.

I did not know then, nor do I know now, how to react. This girl is quite possibly the strongest person I have ever had the privilege of knowing. She fought so bravely for so long but somehow it wasn't enough. I question why it happened but I know that I will never get an answer, that there is no answer that will satisfy me. So I will say this:

She lived her life with more courage, conviction and passion than most people do their entire lives. She loved and was loved fiercely by everyone who knew her. I was lucky to be included in that number and I will never forget her.

No comments:

Post a Comment