Wednesday, April 25, 2012

RE: WellesleyFML

I don't think I have the brainpower to write another long post so I'll keep it short.

So this is just something I wanted to address for awhile I just never got around to it. It seems like a lot of people use this site and I think it's an interesting phenomenon that we have so many ways that we as Wellesley students can connect with one another and share experiences.

BUT.

That site seriously stresses me out. It really does. While there are a few posts of people being supportive about people(a lot of times about questioning/queerness) there's a lot of built up stress there too and sometimes just outright ridiculous/obnoxious posts. I can't really talk because this blog in and of itself supports the idea that ranting about stuff is the best way to deal with your emotions. However. The only way that you, the reader, has access to this URL is through either my personal Facebook or through my Twitter and is protected from being searched on Google. The audience is limited so if you're reading this right now, chances are I know you fairly well(just kidding you could also be coming here from the weird Russian site that's trafficking my posts....sorry). WellesleyFML.com is designed to share info with anyone who has the URL which includes alumnae, professors, current students and anyone who feels like "seeing into our world". It's sometimes hard for me to tell whether or not the people posting are genuinely in distress and which are just attention seeking harlots. It strikes me odd that certain topics, such as rape, are discussed on it(given the very very VERY serious nature of that topic).

The collective bitching of everyone can become really overwhelming, and sometimes people can be snarky or sarcastic to people which I find is usually unnecessary.


So while I find the posts like "Beginning of semester: I’M GONNA GET A 4.0. Middle of semester: Yeah, a B+ isn’t a bad goal. End of semester: Please let me pass, please let me pass…" worth the lulz, this site is highly problematic for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment