Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Onwards and Upwards.

It's hard to believe that my final term of my undergraduate career begins in less than a week. After the fervor of last week, things finally feel like they are settling a bit-though I know this is just the calm between the storms and by this time next week I am sure I'll be relishing the opportunity to sleep past 8.

Still, I'm not quite dreading the return to school the way that I usually do. But maybe that's because it never felt like I ever stopped working completely. Throughout break, I've been chipping away at various projects. It hasn't been an overwhelming amount of work but it has been steady. Although I don't have much to share with you yet, I am actually kind of amazed that all the things that needed to get done did.

Spring semester has never gone particularly well for me; we spend the first 60% shrouded in darkness and lethargy and then suddenly it's the end of March and both flowers and finals arrive. I've felt this pattern since high school but weirdly enough I don't feel that way about this year. We haven't had to be holed up in our houses because of ridiculous cold or snowstorms so it honestly feels like we're just inching closer and closer to spring and to sunshine. (Though of course now that I say that, we're probably going to have a Nor'easter tomorrow). It sounds so silly to be affected so profoundly by the weather but it actually helps me feel more like the spring is a continuation of sorts of the work that I've been doing so far, rather than a new and terrible obstacle to be overcome. Going back to my schoolwork isn't a prison or a terrible sentence, you just carry on like you have before.

How ironic that I finally figure out how to exist somewhere, right before I have to leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment