Friday, August 23, 2013

Plant Update: I am a botanist.

We are inching ever closer to the beginning of a new term at school and my plants are similarly inching their way towards the sun. It's been about a week since the first lemon seeds germinated and they're kind of just going wild now! I'd been experimenting with a couple different ways of speeding up germination periods by removing the tough outer seed coat on the lemon seeds as well as softening the coating by soaking them overnight. The first pot had seeds treated slightly differently so they didn't all sprout at the same time as seen here:

Progression of Pot 1
Day 1 of germination
Day 2 of Germination
Day...7? I don't even know

Day 3 of germination














I'm really pleased that these even came out, to be honest. But even more good news: About a week and a half ago, I started another pot of lemon seeds that had been pre-treated the most to hopefully speed up the germination process. I saw my first sprouts yesterday but I woke up today to see this:
Day 1 of Germination: Pot 2
There are so many seedlings coming up at once! I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks, Pot 2 will have a fairly sizable lemon bush-type growth. I don't think I'll be able to bring that particular pot back with me to school immediately because I want the stems to be a little stronger and some more leaves. College room environments aren't the kindest even on tougher plants(as evidenced by the poor state my Rhoeo plant Ferb was in when I brought him home). However, I think Pot 1 is getting strong enough that it will be able to survive the harsh conditions that are my dorm room. I'm just kind of excited that something I found on Pinterest actually worked!

More updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment