Friday, March 16, 2012

Places I hope to go to someday

If you have been in my dorm room, you'll know that I want to go travel all the beautiful places in my posters one day. If you know me, you know I have never been off North America(except to the Bahamas but I don't really count that). If you didn't know any of that...well now you do. My list keeps changing based off of what I learn in classes and the growing realization that if I'm going to travel, it's going to be with my money. But at the moment, here's my list of places I want to see.

1. Amsterdam, Netherlands
Even though Amsterdam had been fairly low on my radar before senior year of high school, it catapulted to number 1 for a couple reasons. 1) I really love northern Rennaissance/Baroque painters from the Netherlands like Jan Van Eyck and Vermeer. 2) It was part of the setting of John Green's novel, The Fault in Our Stars, which I wrote a review for in the Wellesley News and you can also read it here.
2. Taipei, Taiwan
Because my mom's from Taiwan, I am a little bit curious about, you know, where I come from. I can kind of say the same about Hong Kong but I feel like I would get overwhelmed there really quickly. Taiwan has a lot of awesome food that my mom makes for me but also has a lantern festival to celebrate the Lunar New Year that's famous world-wide.

3. Kyoto, Japan
Of course I'm game for going to anywhere in Japan but I learned about Kyoto from ARTH100 last semester because of the Byodo-in Temple or Phoenix Hall. I'll spare you the formal analysis of the architecture but there are a lot of amazing temples in Kyoto that I think would be really interesting to see.
4. Venice, Italy
Another place where I'd jump at the opportunity to go to the country but I think Venice itself is an intriguing place. Like Amsterdam, it's a city built on canals and people use awesome boats to get anywhere. Nuff said.
5. Paris, France
Another history rich city: I literally cannot see how you could ever get bored in Paris. There are 230493284038 cathedrals that I would want to hit first but then after that there are a bunch of other landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre...and then you get into the list of Cafes? Seriously, I wouldn't leave for like...a month. I would probably go everywhere Madeline told me to when I was little.

6. Anywhere in England that has castles
Because who doesn't love castles. 



No comments:

Post a Comment