Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Breaking out from the Ivory Tower

I think coming up with topics to write about here has been one of my longest-lasting conflicts.

I consider myself a content creator... sometimes. I have always agonized about what to put here-I want to write about things that were relevant and engaging. I wanted to create content that was intelligent and poignant. For awhile I was very adamant about not writing about my thoughts or feelings, lest some future admissions council find it and decide I was not worthy to attend their institution-and actually I'm still working with that today. I also wanted to write about things that were not in any shape or form related to the things that I was learning in school. I think I was trying to prove the point that I was an engaged person who was not just some nerdy bookworm and that I was a person who thought about issues outside the realm of academia.

But as more and more of my time became dedicated as classes became more and more difficult, I had less time to ruminate on things outside of my studies. As a result, the posts here just became less and less frequent and less and less enthused.

I only recently have started to understand why I didn't really feel comfortable writing about the things that I am learning in school. There are two main reasons, the first being that I didn't think that what I was learning was relevant. Interesting to me, but would anyone else think so? The second reason, and far more embarrassing one, is that I didn't feel comfortable explaining things that I myself didn't understand. I had hoped that this problem would go away and that magically by the time I was a senior in high school I could read complex scientific journal articles and understand them perfectly. Unfortunately this seems to be a recurring phenomenon that I think will be an ongoing event so long as I am a person that is learning things.

The reason that any of this came to mind is because I am in a class designed specifically for writing about academic subjects but for the general public. Yes, we had to have classes specifically designed for this purpose. And while I obviously think that it is a worthwhile endeavor, I think that speaks volumes about how disconnected we the Wellesley community are from "the Real World", so much so that we need to have classes with the main objective of helping us communicate our passions and interests to the hypothetical layman. Being a senior in college has made me hyperaware of the fact that in one year's time I will have to find a place for myself in this "real world" I keep hearing so much about.

So you can probably see where I'm going with this-I am going to be trying to post the articles I write for class here on the blog and maybe even the other things I've written about before. While I can't pretend I will love every subject I write about, I do think it defeats the purpose of writing for the general public if no one but my classmates and professors read my writing. I'm actually really really nervous about doing this because the serious subjects will never go viral the way that another post I write might. But I guess I have to take the leap that the while the good things may not be the most exciting click-baitable things they are still worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment