Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Glee Finale


Finals are done so I'm celebrating by 1) Blogging and 2) Blogging about something other than school yay!


So tonight was the two hour finale of Glee and warning: THERE ARE SPOILERS HERE.

The first part was centered around Tina, who has essentially been portrayed as a flighty background character. However, they brought to our attention the following facts:

1) She is one of the founding members of the Glee Club
2) Most people don't seem to even know her name
3) She usually spends her time during what few solos she has either crying or being laughed at.

Now I happen to think that Tina is a kind of problematic. I don't really like her because she's too extreme: either she is playing the sweet nice girl or she's acting out without reason. There's really no buildup and no middle ground. BUT. I think that it addressed some important points; mainly that she was screwed over week after week and that her character is severely under-developed.

Sugar as Quinn and Joe as Mike
They had her hitting her head and having a sort of hallucination where a bunch of people switched places and that was fun for a bit. I think that Dianna Agron(Quinn) as Sugar Motta was pretty funny. 

My favorite part from her though was her saying "Yeah, I know Rachel Berry is a pain in the butt" and then defending her to Whoopi Goldberg. It shows that she has some sort of fire, even if it's only starting to manifest itself. Is this supposed to be a hint about what's to come then for next season? Overall it was a kind of lackluster episode, though I did enjoy hearing more about Puck's storyline as well as Beiste's (I recommend you watch this part for yourself, it's actually pretty dece). Also, even though I don't think that Glee could ever be considered "heavy" or "serious" television, I think that having such a high probability that dreams could be destroyed and having the characters be afraid of that possibility was a good writing choice. A not so subtle reminder that not everything can or will go your way in life but that you should rise up and meet whatever challenge comes your way. 

Anyways, on to the second part. Nationals are coming up and everyone is really driven to win. Vocal Adrenaline's selling point is that they have a transgendered lead singer, Unique who is played by a winner of the Glee project(Alex). He(She) sings "Starships" for the performance; the intensity and mechanical quality that the performance had kind of turned me off....a lot. Also the second song used pinball machines which I found slightly ridiculous. 

I liked that Jesse took a break from being a douche to help Rachel out and proved that no matter how old or successful you get, getting complimented by a mentor/person you respect in the field you love is an awesome feeling. I think we can totally sympathize here.

So New Directions finally wins Nationals(not really surprised there) and although they're not exactly the most graceful winners, it's nice to see them winning for once instead of being interrupted by weird events(ie impromptu makeout sessions, babies being born etc).

I think that the confetti party at the high school was a little over the top; at my former high school I don't think people would have particularly cared. The Brittany/Santana kiss was cute though and I'm happy they can celebrate this huge win. The fact that Emma's virginity was like a prize for Will winning Nationals is highly problematic but that's another post for another day. Also, random girl who was way too excited to have Rachel's autograph? A little weird.

Also, Will as teacher of the year? I can't even begin to describe how much I've come to hate his character and the fact that he got teacher of the year is vomit worthy. But I guess they need to end on a high note. A really really high note. And "We are the Champions" as the final song? A really really really high note. Though I liked that they cut to Sue on the "No time for losers" part (classic).

Overall, this was a really cute(though cliche) episode but it was everything that I expected it to be and really you can't ask for more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment